Backpacking is a way of travelling for long period by using cheapest possible ways like using public transport, staying in less expensive hostel or sometimes in tent. It is actually an independent travelling in which a backpacker carries his bag packed with basic things he might need during travel.
So today I am going to share a backpacking checklist for your hiking or backpacking anywhere in the world. I have tried to cover almost everything so you don’t forget anything important.
- Rucksack/Backpack: The size depends on your trip and destination. If you are going to some city 30-45 ltr is enough but for hiking and expedition you would need a bigger one. It is use for carrying your stuff you may need while travelling.
- Day Pack: It is actually a small bag 10ltr that you can carry during local expedition. You can keep your water, camera, gadget etc in it.
- Rain Pack: To protect your backpack in rain.
- Tent: If you are going for a offbeat destination where the chances of accommodation are very less. You can carry your own tent to live in.
- Sleeping Bag: A hot padded bag to sleep in, especially when you are camping.
- Trekking Poles: To provide you support while hiking in mountains.
- Pillow: If you have a neck pain issue or you sleep with pillow then you should definitely carry a one.
- Matte: A thin matte to sleep on. It provides cushion on rough land.
- Food: Try to carry instant food so that you don’t waste time and energy in cooking food.
- Energy Food: You can carry chocolate bars, chews, gels or trail mix to eat on the go.
- Energy Beverages: You can carry hydration mix, energy drinks or glucose for drinking.
- Stove & Fuel: A stove to cook your food in mountains or beach where there’s no restaurants. Make sure your stove, canister and lighter are small to be fit in your backpack.
- Utensil: To cook and eat food. I’d suggest you to carry a tiffin to eat your food.
- Nylon Cord: If you are climbing then buy a tougher one because life is precious.
- Water Bottle: Carry a water bottle while travelling. You can buy Aqua Vessel Insulated Filtration Bottle or LifeStraw Personal Water Filter to drink water from fresh water streams.
- Extra Polythene Don’t forget to carry extra bags as you can utilize them for keeping your waste and wet cloths.
- Torch: To be used in dark. It also helps as an emergency indicator if you’re lost in night.
- Ice Axe: If you are climbing a mountain then you would need this.
If you are hiking in mountains or going to live in cold weather.
- Clothes: Wicking long-sleeve T-shirt, Wicking long underwear, Hat, Cap, Skullcap, Balaclava, Gloves, Fleece Jacket, Sweater, Raincoat, Sun-shielding hat
If you are traveling or or going to live in hot weather.
- Clothes: Wicking T-shirt (synthetic or wool), Wicking underwear, Quick-drying pants or shorts, Long-sleeve shirt (for sun, bugs), Sun-shielding hat, Gloves, Inner, Jacket, Sweater.
- Footwear: Shoes or Boots for normal hiking and travelling. Gaiters if you are going to walk on snow. Sandals for roaming around your campsite.
- Socks: To be worn under the footwear to protect your feet.
- Quick Dry Towel: Try to buy a lightweight.
- Camera: To record your moments during travelling. You can also use an action Camera like GoPro to record your journey. Do carry extra memory card, batteries for backup.
- Visa/Permit: Do proper research if your trek, expedition, trekking requires special permission from local authority.
- GPS/Map/Guide: For a better understanding always use guide while travelling. Install offline Map that will help you in no network zone. Map to figure out your journey.
- Stationary: Carry diary and pen or pencil to write information.
- Cards: Carry your Forex/credit/debit card with you.
- Mobile and Earphone: To communicate while traveling and earphones to listen your favorite music if you get bored easily.
- Insect Repellent: To save your body from mosquito. You can buy Bear Spray if you are traveling to a place where there are many bears.
- Toiletry Kit: Your toothbrush, paste, toilet papers, shower gel, hand sanitizer, Menstrual and urinary products.
- Medicines and First Aid: Don’t forget to carry your medicines. You can also make a first aid box for yourself.
I have tried to demonstrate everything. If you feel I’ve missed out something then please comment below and let me know. Also share your experience about backpacking if you loved this article.